Like Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana? If yes, then you will love this recipe. It’s savory and made with fresh ingredients. The answer to a cozy rainy day. Can serve spicy or mild.
Yield: 4-6 SERVINGS
Prep Time: 20 MINUTES
Cook Time: 40 MINUTES
Total Time: 60 MINUTES
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 large onion
- 4 potatoes
- 4-6 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch dinosaur kale
- 24 oz. chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 pound bacon
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 cup canna butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- (Optional: parsley, oregano, thyme)
- Remove casings from sausages, dice onion, mince garlic, remove stems from and chop kale, roughly chop bacon.
- In the bottom of a large soup pan, over medium/high heat, break up sausage into small pieces.
- Add onions, garlic, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and any other additional seasonings to the pan. Cook until sausage is browned and onions become translucent.
- Bring heat down to medium and stir in potatoes, chicken stock, and water. Stir occasionally.
- In a frying pan, cook bacon bits until extra crispy. Remove to a clean, dry paper towel.
- Drain excess bacon fat, leaving any remaining smaller bacon bits. Add to warm, but cooling pan your canna butter and cornstarch. Whisk together briskly and thoroughly.
- When potatoes reach your desired texture, reduce temperate to the lowest heat possible.
- Lovingly stir your bacon, canna butter, cornstarch paste into the soup. Leave covered on low for 15 minutes.
- Remove cover, add kale, half of bacon, heavy cream, and season to taste.
- Serve hot with leftover crispy bacon bits as garnish. YUM!