Cannabis Infused Coconut Oil
The first step in making this medicine is the process of decarboxylation – the chemistry term for heating marijuana to release its THC.
Prep Time: 20 MINUTES
Cook Time: 30-40 MINUTES
Total Time: 1 HOUR
INGREDIENTS & SUPPLIES
- One ounce of cannabis buds
- Parchment paper
- Baking sheet
- 1 gram decarboxylated cannabis
- 1 ounce cold-pressed virgin coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 240 degrees F.
- Break up the cannabis buds into smaller pieces with your hands.
- Spread a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. The sheet should be covered with cannabis an no empty spaces.
- Bake the cannabis 30-40 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes so that it toasts evenly.
- When the cannabis has dried and darkened in color to a light medium brown, remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the cannabis to cool. It should be crumbly when properly dried.
- In a food processor or blender, pulse the cannabis until it is coarsely ground (not a fine powder). Store in an airtight glass container and use as needed to make medicated edible recipes.
PREPARING THE OIL:
- Place measured crushed cannabis in a sturdy glass jar and add coconut oil. Tightly fit the jar’s lid and place in a saucepan full of water.
- Slowly heat the water on low on the stovetop – keeping it below boiling for 60 minutes. Doing this keeps the oil from overheating.
- Using a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth, strain solids from the oil into another sturdy glass jar. Squeeze the liquid from the cannabis into the oil.
- The cannabis coconut oil is now ready to be eaten or used as a topical lotion. The removed solids can be eaten as well, baked or cooked into any recipe.
Note: You may cook with the oil but only at medium heat, if heated too high, the active compounds in the cannabis will cook out.